Lowndes is seeking a Controller who will perform all aspects of the firm’s general ledger accounting functions, own the monthly close process, oversee the firm’s bank accounts including trust & escrow accounts, maintain fixed assets in conjunction with the firm’s policies, review bank account reconciliations, and investigate budget variances. Prepares and posts general ledger journal entries and other month end close related duties. Oversees, Treasury, Accounts Payable and cash applications. On a weekly basis prepare cash estimates to Executive Leadership. Supports COO and CFO with budgeting. Thorough knowledge of accounting principles is required.
· Prepare financial statements and balance sheet analysis for review by the CFO. Create and analyze ad hoc reports related to cash expenditures such as capital and operating expenses.
· On a weekly basis oversee the preparation and review of the Statement of Condition. Communicate cash position and cash flow projections to supervisor and designated management.
· Oversee the day to day functions for accounts payable, trust and escrow account management and cash applications. Supervises a staff of three.
· Review and approve bank reconciliations for trust, escrow, payroll and attorney accounts. Review bank account reconciliations with designated Partner.
· Maintain existing banking relationships. Contact local banks regarding loans, savings accounts, stop payments, and other such issues concerning the firm and bank.
· Identify process improvement opportunities including developing cost benefit analysis. Present proposals to management for consideration and discussion.
· Review, identify and resolve problems and discrepancies in accounting records or documents, including making appropriate general ledger adjustments.
· Develop, prepare, summarize, and analyze complex schedules and financial reports.
· Conduct complex projects on a wide variety of finance and accounting issues. Evaluate alternatives and make sound recommendations and prepare effective reports.
· Analyze and record monthly bank loan and mortgage payments.
OTHER DUTIES MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
· Perform or assist with any operations, as required to maintain workflow and to meet schedules and quality requirements.
· Maintain safe work area and comply with safety procedures and equipment operating rules keeping work area in a clean orderly condition.
· Participate in any variety of meetings and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements and policies.
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting is required, CPA and/or MBA is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of GAAP and ability to apply this knowledge in varied work situations.
· Knowledge of research, statistical, analytical, and reporting methods, techniques and procedures.
• Aderant, SQL and QuickBooks experience is a plus.
• Advanced knowledge of MS Office Suite with an emphasis on advanced Excel skills. Previous experience with SQL and SaaS preferred.
• Highly detail-oriented and organized. Ability to meet a constant stream of deadlines; prioritize effectively while displaying a positive, high-energy attitude.
• Critical thinking skills with demonstrated superior analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with the appropriate discretion.
• Achievement oriented, thrives in fast-paced environment and can balance sense of urgency with sound financial judgment and controls.
Prefer at least five years of experience in an accounting or related financial role.
Previous work experience in a law firm or professional service organization is preferred.
• Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• In depth knowledge of iManage Records Management System. Experience with document imaging systems
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and within team environments either in a participatory or lead role
• Must have excellent written and oral communication skills