Land Use & Zoning
State and local government development regulations and land use laws in Florida are complex and comprehensive. To successfully navigate such laws and regulations, a client needs an attorney that has more than just a familiarity with the rules. Our attorneys have had years of experience in drafting, interpreting, and applying land use regulations throughout Florida and particularly in Central Florida.
Projects of all sizes, and in particular complex projects and redevelopments, require negotiation and documentation of the local approvals and development agreements. Clients benefit from our years of experience working with local governments, their elected officials and staff. Our knowledge of the history of Florida's development and growth, local politics and governmental priorities allows our attorneys to assist clients in developing strategies for project approval.
Our real estate development attorneys are experienced in the following areas:
- Developments of Regional Impact (DRI)
- Comprehensive Plan Amendments
- Public Facilities Concurrency Management
- Development Agreements
- Impact Fees, Impact Fee Credits, and Alternative Impact Fees
- Vested rights
- Tax Increment Financing (TIF), Community Development Districts (CDD) and other public financing
- Platting and subdivisions
- Zoning matters (Rezoning, Variances, Special Exceptions, Conditional Uses, Planned Developments)
We have experience in representing clients before governmental boards such as:
- City Councils and City Commissions
- Boards of County Commissions
- Planning and Zoning Commission
- Boards of Zoning Adjustment
- Code Enforcement Boards
- Historic Preservation Boards
- Construction Boards of Adjustments
- Development Review Committees
- Technical Review Committees
Our approach to development and land use approvals is collaborative. We often work with other development consultants such as planners, engineers, environmental consultants, transportation consultants, architects and economic consultants. Our representation often commences with a concept proposed for vacant land and continues through the issuance of building permits and certificates of occupancy. The attorneys who practice in this area are familiar with all aspects of approvals and permitting of a project, including environmental permitting (local, state and federal), governmental lobbying, historic preservation requirements, tax and other incentive programs, administrative proceedings and land use litigation.
We handle projects of all types and sizes, including: mixed-use developments, high-rise developments, wetland permitting, marina permitting, utility plants, landfills, resource recovery facilities and biomedical waste facilities. In addition to our services that relate to the permitting of projects, we have experience in administrative and civil litigation in state and federal tribunals, at both the trial and appellate levels, on behalf of clients related to environmental and zoning issues.
For questions or more information, please contact Rebecca "Becky" Wilson, Chair of the firm's Land Use & Zoning Group.