John D. Ruffier
John Ruffier currently chairs the firm's Senior Housing Group. Having worked closely with CNL Retirement Properties Inc. as it built its senior living portfolio from the ground up, John saw first-hand the explosive growth in the industry. Eventually, that company and its real estate portfolio were sold to Health Care Property Investors Inc. for $5.3 billion. After the CNL Retirement sale, John continued to provide legal services for other clients focused on senior living communities, such as HJ Sims Investments, a private equity firm based in Connecticut, CNL Healthcare Properties Inc., a non-traded REIT based in Orlando, FL., and Pacifica Companies, based in San Diego, CA.
John also represents borrowers and lenders, making or modifying commercial loans and companies acquiring, developing or selling commercial real estate -- both in Florida and across the United States. He has represented businesses in a wide variety of real estate transactions, including restaurants, big box retail stores, office buildings, golf courses and, of course, senior living facilities.
Representative clients: Canaveral Port Authority; HJ Sims Investments; Seaside National Bank & Trust; CNL Healthcare Properties and Pacifica Companies
- Coalition for the Homeless, Board of Directors, past Member
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation, Vice-Chair (2017-2018) & Chair (2018-2019).
- Metro Orlando Economic Development Commission, City of Orlando Governmental Liaison
- Hope and Help Center of Central Florida, Board of Directors, past member, and past President
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater, Associate Board, past President
- City of Orlando Public Art, Advisory Board, Former Member
- Vanderbilt University Alumni Recruiting Committee, past Chairman
Appointments and Elected Positions
- Florida Real Estate Commission, Former Commissioner
Professional Certifications, Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2016-2018
- "Chuck Hummer II Visionary Award" from the Hope and Help Center
- "Best of the Bar", Orlando Business Journal
- Recognized as "Florida Legal Elite" 2007, 2013, 2017 by Florida Trend Magazine
- Represented real estate investment trust in $238,000,000 acquisition and financing of 9 medical office buildings in multiple states.
- Represented real estate investment trust in $562,000,000 acquisition and financing of 20 senior living communities in multiple states.
- Represented real estate investment trust in $343,000,000 acquisition and financing of 21 senior living communities in multiple states.
- Represented real estate investment trust $270,000,000 acquisition of 19 senior living communities in multiple states.
- Represented real estate investment trust in $199,000,000 acquisition and financing of 25 senior living communities in multiple states.
- Represented a private equity company in $184,000,000 acquisition and financing of 14 senior living communities in multiple states and later in the disposition of the same set of properties via a membership interest sale to privately-owned real estate company.
- Represented a private equity company in $7,725,000 sale of 4 senior living communities, including the negotiation of a $1,545,000 mezzanine loan secured by interests in the senior living community purchaser.
- Represented a private equity company in $5,000,000 mezzanine loan secured by a pledge of interests in multiple entities related to a senior living community.
- Represented privately-owned real estate company in $25,400,000 acquisition and finance of a senior living facility in Fort Walton Beach, Florida for $25,400,000.