Everyone at Lowndes, Drosdick, Doster, Kantor & Reed is committed to environmental sustainability, both within the firm and in our community at-large. The firm has proudly achieved the ranking of “Tier 1–Sustainability Advocate” from Meritas, a global network of independent law firms that created a Green Guide for Lawyers outlining sustainable business practices for law firms and corporations. In addition, the firm is the first law firm to be a member of Orange County, Florida’s “Kilowatt Crackdown” program, a program developed by the local government to encourage energy conservation among businesses throughout its jurisdiction.
Our path to reduced energy consumption and green initiatives has included ongoing programs such as:
- placing recycling containers throughout the firm for the disposal of recyclable items such as bottles and cans, paper and plastic;
- instituting an in-house battery recycling program to reduce soil and water contamination, as well as solid waste at our county landfill;
- eliminating several printed directories and research materials and reducing others to minimum necessity;
- exchanging our incandescent light bulbs for energy efficient bulbs;
- installing motion-sensing devices where lights do not need to be on all the time;
- engaging a cleaning service that is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and exclusively uses cleaning products that are Green Seal Certified Products – non-toxic to humans and the environment;
- providing shower facilities and installing a bike rack to encourage alternative transportation amongst our employees; and
- inviting our local utility commission to conduct an audit and make recommendations for additional improvements toward our ongoing environmental sustainability efforts.
In addition through our Environmental Sustainability Committee, the firm has implemented the monthly and annual recognition of our "Eco-Employees," those that go out of their way to make the firm an eco-friendly environment. Past Award winners have been acknowledged for biking to work, implementing a firm-wide battery recycling program and contributing to our "Green Sheet," a quarterly electronically published internal newsletter with articles, tips and updates regarding our continued efforts to set an example of environmental stewardship.
We will continue to implement policies and procedures that promote and encourage environmental sustainability from all of our attorneys and staff.